flawedamythyst: (Minerva)
[personal profile] flawedamythyst
It's National Book Week. The rules: Grab the closest book to you. Go to page 56. Copy the 5th sentence as your status. Don't mention the book. Post these rules as part of your post.

Page 56 is entirely blank, so have 55 instead:

The idea of a 13-year-old virgin shaving off her pubic hair is as ridiculous as Neil Armstrong splashing on aftershave before setting foot on the moon: any audience for the effort is entirely imaginary.





Sharpe Evening

If you've never seen Sharpe, then it is important to note that one of its key factors is the Epic Hats that get worn, usually by military men, but occasionally by well-heeled ladies that Sharpe later seduces. Naturally, then, if you're having a Sharpe-themed evening, it is important to create a tribute to these hats.

Photobucket

My tribute, influenced by Sharpe's first, and most awesome wife, who was a Spanish partisan known as 'The Needle.' (*cue heavy Irish accent* You don't want to know why, to be sure.)


Photobucket

Louise's tribute, inspired by the French military style, which appeared to involve as much fur, feathers and gold braid as could be balanced on a head without breaking the neck below it.


Photobucket

Sadly, all the photos of us actually in them are a bit blurry, possibly due to the port. And perhaps the brandy. This is the best of the lot.


Bonus Hat Picture:

Whilst shopping for the 'base' hats, we found this hat, and I had a brief Cabin Pressure moment. No, I don't really know how airmen salute.

Photobucket


Harry Potter Version 3: Tonks And Bellatrix

In previous years, Sapph and I have dressed as Hogwarts students (and been mistaken for actual schoolgirls, despite being at least 5 years too old, and it being a Saturday afternoon, and, you know, having badges that said Hogwarts on our ties) and as Hogwarts teachers (*points to icon*). This time it was time to get a bit Serious (not Sirius, sadly), and so we went for a Deatheater and a member of The Order Of The Phoenix.

This naturally caused some tension. Bellatrix is a bit of a psycopathic madwoman, you see, and enjoys killing members of The Order.

Photobucket


However, Tonks is fiesty, and not afraid to fight back.

Photobucket

(Note Bellatrix's sensible shoes. Much easier to chase, attack, kill and maim in trainers.)


It was at this point, however, that they remembered that they're aunt and niece, and perhaps blood is thicker than water. They had a catch-up on family news, most of which was not happy news.

Photobucket


And then they decided to put the past behind them and have a waltz. No, I'm not sure why either, but it should be noted that Tonks is a bit spontaneous and fun-loving, and Bellatrix is batshit crazy. Waltzing is probably the least of what they'd get up to on a day out.

Photobucket





*

Date: 2011-08-07 02:28 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] earlgreytea68.livejournal.com
Those hats are AWESOME!!

Date: 2011-08-07 01:41 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] flawedamythyst.livejournal.com
I know, right? Turns out, epic hats are easier to make than you'd think, if you have access to a fancy dress shop and a fabric shop.

Date: 2011-08-07 03:33 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shouldboverthis.livejournal.com
Oh, my--fun pics, and now I need to know what book that is.

Date: 2011-08-07 01:43 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] flawedamythyst.livejournal.com
You mean Sharpe? Oh, it's awesome. It's a series of books that was made into a series of TV films starring Sean Bean, about an army officer during the Napoleonic war, and it's all about the swashbuckling and the derring-do and the busty ladies. It's genius.

Date: 2011-08-08 02:55 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shouldboverthis.livejournal.com
Oh, no! Long-time Sharpe fan--and Sean Bean. First time I saw Pete Pothselwaite--creepy, creepy character.

No, the book that you took the line from.

(I'm thinking it's not from a Sharpe novel!)

Date: 2011-08-10 11:17 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] flawedamythyst.livejournal.com
Yes, Hakeswill is truly evil and awesome. Actually, all the bad guys in Sharpe manage to take evil to creepy levels - the bit with Simmerson and the mute nun in the library is disturbing as well.

I'm not sure if I'm meant to be not-saying or not, but fuck it, I shall tell you anyway. The book was How To Be A Woman by Caitlin Moran, which is pretty awesome, but made me feel like I should be Doing Things and Having A Career.

Date: 2011-08-11 02:31 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shouldboverthis.livejournal.com
Oh, I've seen her talking about it on Twitter. She is very funny.

Have you read the Sharpe's or just watched them.

Date: 2011-08-11 11:40 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] flawedamythyst.livejournal.com
I've read about 3/4 of them. I love how they're so much more historically accurate that the films, where they just have 'OMG LET'S HAVE AZTECS THAT'D BE AWESOME' moments.

Date: 2011-08-11 05:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shouldboverthis.livejournal.com
*snorfle* I remember reading about the painstaking research that Cornwall (?) put into them. I haven't tried them--just enjoying watching Sean Bean stride around shooting things.

Date: 2011-08-12 01:15 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] flawedamythyst.livejournal.com
I really enjoyed the books, actually, despite the lack of Sean Bean (well, he's on the cover of most of them). There's a chapter at the end of each where he talks about what really happened and how he fudged it a bit to make Sharpe look awesome.

Date: 2011-08-12 03:57 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shouldboverthis.livejournal.com
I remember that Sharp was promoted in the field and there were notes (Alister Cooke?) saying that Wellington actually thought it a terrible practice.

Date: 2011-08-12 11:47 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] flawedamythyst.livejournal.com
Yeah, in the books Sharpe has to pester him to get him to do it, as I recall. Plus it was in India, so there's loads of hilarious India shenanigans. Actually, the books made me really appreciate how BAMFy Wellington was. He was awesome.

Date: 2011-08-07 04:18 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] leodragon1.livejournal.com
Awesome post is awesome.

Have you noticed how much better people usually look in a formal hat? You ladies look very lovely. Makes me wish that hats like those were still in vogue. Or not just for a princess to wear to a royal wedding. Oh vey!

Date: 2011-08-07 01:44 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] flawedamythyst.livejournal.com
People don't wear enough hats. It's a truth that makes me sad all the time. There should be a hat-revolution, just so I can wear that one out and about.

Date: 2011-08-11 05:07 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shouldboverthis.livejournal.com
I make hats and sell some, did you know? ^^

Also designed a show that needed 60 bizarre hats--still have some of them.

Date: 2011-08-12 01:16 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] flawedamythyst.livejournal.com
Wow, I did not know that. I am now awed by you.

Date: 2011-08-12 03:56 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shouldboverthis.livejournal.com
That's what I aim for. :) shock and awe.

The one's I sell are pretty tame so I can turn them out en masse, but the ones for the show...I'll post a couple of pictures.

Date: 2011-08-12 11:44 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] flawedamythyst.livejournal.com
Pictures would be awesome.

Date: 2011-08-13 05:58 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] shouldboverthis.livejournal.com
Put some up on my LJ. :)

Date: 2011-08-08 04:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] sapphic85.livejournal.com
I can't do the book thing because spoilers!

I love how you took our random poses and made them make sense :D

*loves*

Date: 2011-08-10 11:17 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] flawedamythyst.livejournal.com
Well, I had to! Actually, I was tempted to do them chatting, then waltzing, then fighting over who was the best dancer, but it makes more canonical sense this way.

Date: 2011-08-13 03:31 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] selecasharp.livejournal.com
The photos are AWESOME, and I approve of this post as well.

Date: 2011-08-14 11:45 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] flawedamythyst.livejournal.com
Hee! Thank you! I love dressing up and taking pictures far too much, really.

Profile

flawedamythyst: (Default)
flawedamythyst

March 2016

S M T W T F S
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27 28293031  

Most Popular Tags

Style Credit

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Sep. 27th, 2026 11:14 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios