This has been a very strange week. I've spent most of it buried deep in one of the longest fics I've ever read, and every time I came up for air, something else shitty happened. This is why my LJ has been quiet - I hate posting when I have only bad things to whine about.
The Fic - I decided to revisit Spike/Xander, which was my first slash OTP, and obsessed me for years, and is still very close to my heart. I stumbled upon Repossession, a fic I hadn't read before. There are 124 chapters. Seriously. I thought it would be okay, because - well, that many chapters, they all must be short, right? No. Not at all. I started reading Tuesday morning, and barring sleep, work and being annoyingly ill, I've pretty much done nothing else for the last 4 days, and I only just finished. This is LONG.
And pretty awesome, although it contains many of the elements that makes S/X fic predictable. Uh, an also some wholly new and unexpected things. Like having to wait over 100 chapters to find out what the hell was going on. Anyway, if you have a spare 50+ hours, and like the idea of Epic Fic, with vampires and hurt/comfort (in spades) and Mysterious People With Unexplained Powers, and Complicated Vampiric Moments and biting and multiple personalities and sex (lots of sex) and some slightly complex finangling in order to create The Happy Ending To End All Happy Endings, then you should go read it.
That said, do I actually have any S/X 'shippers on my Flist? *shrugs*
The Badness - Well, I was ill, which meant I phoned in sick to work for the first time ever, then I forgot my Dad's birthday (I fail as a daughter. Seriously.) AND it's been hideously cold and the radiator in my room wasn't working (fixed this morning, happily,) I was late to work today AND smashed some wine in front of the new manager (nice way to make a good impression, eh?) and then I had The Winston Churchill Argument with Roger, because, of course, he's of the generation that hero-worships the guy. ("He was a great man. A Great Man!" *pause* *said in tones of great disgust* "I suppose you approve of Chamberlain." *eye roll*)
My Fic - I did manage to write some more of my own Epic Fic though (seems less than Epic now though - it's only going to have 13 chapters, after all, rather than 113.) I have 4/13 and the prologue written, and am at roughly 17,000 words, and Alex seems to think it's good, but...I can't help worrying that I'm not going to finish it. I fail at motivation over the long term, and I'm not even half way yet. How I can I trust myself to not fail at this? I really want to finish it. Can you all help me find it in me to get it all out?
And then I forgot about Hiatus, and got excited about watching new SPN, until I read my Flist and wondered where all the usual new episode Squee was. *sigh* It should be illegal not to have new SPN when I'm feeling down.
The Fic - I decided to revisit Spike/Xander, which was my first slash OTP, and obsessed me for years, and is still very close to my heart. I stumbled upon Repossession, a fic I hadn't read before. There are 124 chapters. Seriously. I thought it would be okay, because - well, that many chapters, they all must be short, right? No. Not at all. I started reading Tuesday morning, and barring sleep, work and being annoyingly ill, I've pretty much done nothing else for the last 4 days, and I only just finished. This is LONG.
And pretty awesome, although it contains many of the elements that makes S/X fic predictable. Uh, an also some wholly new and unexpected things. Like having to wait over 100 chapters to find out what the hell was going on. Anyway, if you have a spare 50+ hours, and like the idea of Epic Fic, with vampires and hurt/comfort (in spades) and Mysterious People With Unexplained Powers, and Complicated Vampiric Moments and biting and multiple personalities and sex (lots of sex) and some slightly complex finangling in order to create The Happy Ending To End All Happy Endings, then you should go read it.
That said, do I actually have any S/X 'shippers on my Flist? *shrugs*
The Badness - Well, I was ill, which meant I phoned in sick to work for the first time ever, then I forgot my Dad's birthday (I fail as a daughter. Seriously.) AND it's been hideously cold and the radiator in my room wasn't working (fixed this morning, happily,) I was late to work today AND smashed some wine in front of the new manager (nice way to make a good impression, eh?) and then I had The Winston Churchill Argument with Roger, because, of course, he's of the generation that hero-worships the guy. ("He was a great man. A Great Man!" *pause* *said in tones of great disgust* "I suppose you approve of Chamberlain." *eye roll*)
My Fic - I did manage to write some more of my own Epic Fic though (seems less than Epic now though - it's only going to have 13 chapters, after all, rather than 113.) I have 4/13 and the prologue written, and am at roughly 17,000 words, and Alex seems to think it's good, but...I can't help worrying that I'm not going to finish it. I fail at motivation over the long term, and I'm not even half way yet. How I can I trust myself to not fail at this? I really want to finish it. Can you all help me find it in me to get it all out?
And then I forgot about Hiatus, and got excited about watching new SPN, until I read my Flist and wondered where all the usual new episode Squee was. *sigh* It should be illegal not to have new SPN when I'm feeling down.
no subject
Date: 2007-11-23 11:45 pm (UTC)my goodness. that sounds like quite a fic. I don't not ship S/X (except when they are referred to as Spander. i can't ship that) but I am not sure I have 50 hours to spare to read about them. you have intrigued me though.
*raises hand* I will cheerlead. *waves pom-pons*
no subject
Date: 2007-11-23 11:59 pm (UTC)Uh, I'll shut up about it now. I think, perhaps, if I'd had fandom friends when I was in Buffy fandom, I'd get less over-excited about the fic now. I mean, hell, that was 7 years ago. I should be able to stop myself squeeing about it. Also, I NEVER called it Spander. Sounds like a kids cartoon character, I hate it. However, I do like calling Spike/Buffy 'Spuffy', cos I hate the ship, so I like to call it something ridiculous. And curse Joss Whedon for making it so canon in ways S/X never was.
I really, really will shut up now. I promise.
*raises hand* I will cheerlead. *waves pom-pons*
Actually, I was going to ask you a HUGE favour...would you read it over for me? I would love to have an American check it over, even if you don't have time to do more than take out my Britisms. Please? *bats eyelashes*
no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 12:12 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 12:16 am (UTC)Uh, Is it okay if I send it to you after I've written 6 or 7 chapters? That should be about half, I reckon, and hopefully done in the next couple of weeks. Dividing it in two should make it a little more manageable, I hope.
no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 12:17 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 12:19 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 12:55 am (UTC)♥
no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 01:00 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 01:08 am (UTC)♥
no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 12:36 am (UTC)I hope you're feeling better now!
no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 12:58 am (UTC)I do feel better now, thank you.
no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 12:52 am (UTC)It is utterly awesome, honey. I'm serious. Do you really think I'd squee and annoy you this much about it if I didn't like it? Seriously?
I'm sorry you had such a bad week. That sucks. But, perk up, old chap, blood!kink is coming to rescue you!
♥
no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 12:59 am (UTC)Heh. Old chap. *hugs* and: YAY! for BLOOD!KINK!
no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 01:07 am (UTC)HEE!
♥
no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 01:12 am (UTC)And it's the van killing people - it's a were-van. Dean stops it by salting and burning the engine, under guise of an oil change.
Then there's more sex. In the woods, while a moose watches.
The End.
Finished! In less than 50 words as well. Can I give up now?
no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 01:19 am (UTC)Just write the damned fic.
♥
no subject
Date: 2007-11-24 01:21 am (UTC)no subject
Date: 2007-11-25 09:27 pm (UTC)The bottle of wine was an accident though, right, so they're not going to be all mean and evil about it are they?
Um, fic, yeah, I have no clue how to motivate you as I'm not good motivating people or myself. I could offer you cookies? And a mug of hot chocolate? (_)D
no subject
Date: 2007-11-26 12:08 am (UTC)