So, I've been thinking about what I want to do with my life, and it's all a little scary. I'm not sure I want to go into Marketing, and it seems like a colossal waste of time and money to do this MA without thinking it through first. So, here's my thinking...
MA Pro:
1) I get a Masters, which I've always wanted.
2) Another year as a student (Free time, joining societies, excuse to doss)
3) Prob. Higher wages afterwards & being in Marketing counts as a career
4) Don't know anything about Marketing, so could love it
MA Con:
1) Don't know anything about Marketing, so could hate it
2) Lot of money
3) Waste of time if I change my mind after
4) Brain power (not sure I've got it in me to do another year of work and put effort in)
Which leaves me just as conflicted, cos if I don't do the MA, I'll have to think of something else to do and I may not like it, so maybe I should do the MA anyway.
However, I've been thinking, and I think I'd like to work with books - maybe get on a bookshop manager program and end up running a branch of Ottakars or Waterstones or something. However, there's a number of considerations with that plan:
Bookseller Pro:
1) Be working with books
2) My experiences in retail, and particularly with the bits of Teamleadering that involve management make me think I wouldn't hate it
3) Save money on MA
4) It could be a great job and one day, maybe, I can open my own bookshop.
Bookseller Con:
1) Money - lowish wages (certainly lower than Marketting people)
2) Might become dull after a few years, once novelty has worn off
3) (Ok, this sounds stupid and snobbish, but I feel I should be totally honest here) Perhaps not a very...highly regarded job? Waste of education?
4) Would have to work for a chain, and of the specialist bookshop chains, only Ottakars has a chain in Pmouth, so might have to move elsewhere.
So, there it is, my current conundrum laid out in black and white. Hasn't helped me make a decision either way at all. So, this is my question to you: What do you think I should do? One of those, or something else entirely? Please let me know!
MA Pro:
1) I get a Masters, which I've always wanted.
2) Another year as a student (Free time, joining societies, excuse to doss)
3) Prob. Higher wages afterwards & being in Marketing counts as a career
4) Don't know anything about Marketing, so could love it
MA Con:
1) Don't know anything about Marketing, so could hate it
2) Lot of money
3) Waste of time if I change my mind after
4) Brain power (not sure I've got it in me to do another year of work and put effort in)
Which leaves me just as conflicted, cos if I don't do the MA, I'll have to think of something else to do and I may not like it, so maybe I should do the MA anyway.
However, I've been thinking, and I think I'd like to work with books - maybe get on a bookshop manager program and end up running a branch of Ottakars or Waterstones or something. However, there's a number of considerations with that plan:
Bookseller Pro:
1) Be working with books
2) My experiences in retail, and particularly with the bits of Teamleadering that involve management make me think I wouldn't hate it
3) Save money on MA
4) It could be a great job and one day, maybe, I can open my own bookshop.
Bookseller Con:
1) Money - lowish wages (certainly lower than Marketting people)
2) Might become dull after a few years, once novelty has worn off
3) (Ok, this sounds stupid and snobbish, but I feel I should be totally honest here) Perhaps not a very...highly regarded job? Waste of education?
4) Would have to work for a chain, and of the specialist bookshop chains, only Ottakars has a chain in Pmouth, so might have to move elsewhere.
So, there it is, my current conundrum laid out in black and white. Hasn't helped me make a decision either way at all. So, this is my question to you: What do you think I should do? One of those, or something else entirely? Please let me know!
no subject
Date: 2005-08-18 02:24 pm (UTC)I think, if I were you (which of course I'm not, so this is just my opinion!), I would do the MA. It's only one year, right? It might cost a lot, but my outlook is that you have the whole of your life to work, so you might as well grab as many qualifications as you can and learn as much as you can while you're still young. Besides, having those extra letters after your name is a Very Good Thing, and can only lead to plusses! And yes, it would also mean another year of studenty fun, which is, erm, fun! :D
Also, by the end of your year, you'll probably have a broader view of what sort of things you can go into with a marketing degree, so if any of them appeal to you then, go for it! If not, and you're still yearning to be a bookstore executive type person, then Ottakars and the other bookchains while still be there in a years' time, and your shiny marketing masters' would definitely be advantageous in being store manager or whatever! :) Ooh, and you could be working part-time in Ottakars anyway during your Uni year, and so getting to know the store and staff during that time would be a real bonus if you're aiming to take it over one day! :D
Anyway, that's my opinion. Good luck in deciding! :)
Reg. bookshop career
Date: 2005-08-18 04:06 pm (UTC)I think this is a good idea because:-
1. You have always been interested in reading and books and know a lot about this subject.
2. You could use your degree level knowledge of history to specialise further in history books.
3. Management in retail is as good as management elsewhere and therefore could be a highly regarded job.
4. It is important when embarking on a career to do something that appeals and this avenue obviously appeals to you.
P.S. Have you thought about a career as a librarian?
no subject
Date: 2005-08-22 08:06 am (UTC)Why would people look down on you if you are store manager (or higher?) level?
What people are you referring to anyway? Name names...
Are you doing the degree for the sake of it? Or specifically as a career move?
If you decide you hate it, what are the provisions for changing course or dropping out?
Ignore the fact that the only book chain in Pmouth is Ottakers, cos you might have to move for a marketting job too. Or you might decide you'd like to mve. I thought I'd never like leaving Norwich, but I could definately be happy moving to Cardiff since it means I'd be doing what I want to do.
Do you want to live to work, or work to live? Could you be happy in a high powred, well paid job that you hate or would you prefer to be comparitively poor but doing something you really enjoyed?
Try tossing a coin to make the decision, and then see what your gut reaction to the outcome is. You might surprise yourself.